Wednesday, October 28, 2009

mint.com


Aron Patzer founded mint.com after noticing how hard it was to use Intuit's Quicken. I thing that it is interesting to note the reason for why he came to the point of invention. It wasn't some desire to necessarily change the way people manage their money. It was because of a simple frustration that I myself can relate to. Me and my wife decided to give up on Quicken and Quickbooks because although the software is nice it is basically designed for someone who has the time to go through weeks and weeks of online tutorials and/or has a B.A. in finance or accounting. It is not very user friendly and is defiantly not the type of software that you can just pick up and run with.. Mint.com is very easy to use and get this...it's free! I think that it is very important that us media arts people realize that its not about simply making a cool game or a catchy commercial or fictional experience. Sometimes we have to look around and just realize that the world is full of things that need fixing. I think it is easy to get caught up in the hype and not realize our responsibility to contribute more to the world than a plethora of games and fictional content. I think that this is one of the cornerstones of this course. I actually think that this is what these blogs are all about. One can't possibly call himself a professional at anything that he/she is not willing to commit a daily allotment of time to. I think we get caught up in the hype and think that inventors and startup moguls are these people that are so smart. The truth is they are not afraid to see were the process takes them. They don't lie to them selves and say, "I can't think of anything", "I don't know what I am doing," and so on. You cant use those excuses when it comes to the real world because the world can't use people who are to lazy to think. So today I will make an effort to stop relying on my wits and rely on the process working through the process that leads true problem solving.

No comments:

Post a Comment